Monday, April 5, 2010

Movie Monday...Djembe(jem-bay)



In my 20's ( way back in the day) I used to study West African drumming and dance. I was blessed to study from some amazing teachers when I lived in Arcata and Santa Cruz. When I was drumming and dancing I felt free, alive... connected. It is such a beautiful art and I hoped one day I would share it with my child. I made my djembe with a friend of mine. I chose the wood, goat skin, dyed the strings and helped him carve it. It was so much more meaningful to have an instrument that I helped make. A few times Ruby has sat between my legs on the rocker and we would drum together. April 2nd, the day she turned 14 months, I was in the kitchen and heard Ru drumming on her own! Girl has got some natural rhythm! I knew Ruby Tsege and I would drum and dance together. She now crawls up to it a few times a day and drums on her own...... You go girl!
( She says "doggggeeeee" when she touches the fur)

No comments:

Post a Comment