Tuesday, March 2, 2010
One year ago today....
...we knew our lives would never be the same. On March 2, 2009 we got our official referral for baby Tsege. She was approximately 4 weeks old, precious beyond words, long graceful fingers and the eyes of an old soul. Michael and I always said our daughter's middle name would be Grace, after his grandmother Gracie, and we discovered Tsege means "grace of God". Little did we know it would be over nine months until she would be in our arms. We watched her grow up in photos, occasional videos, and tidbits here and there from other adoptive parent's journeys to Ethiopia. With each picture we fell more in love. The wait was LONG, heart wrenching, and one of the most challenging things I have ever endured in my life. I felt so powerless but did all I could to advocate to get our baby girl into our arms.
I found strength in myself I did not know I possessed, I learned what it truly means to have patience, and I know what it means to love someone so much I would have waited years to bring her home. I never gave up hope and I never gave up on her.... because this little person on the other side of the world was meant to be our daughter. I just kept telling myself, "she is worth it." Everyone kept telling me all of my sadness, longing, and heart ache would melt away once she was in my arms, and that is exactly what happened.
Ruby Tsege has been home with us for almost three months now. We have bonded as a family, she is the sweetest, happiest, silliest, most determined little girl I have ever met. We love her beyond anything we have ever experienced and it feels like we have been together forever. It feels so "right" and perfect. There is no doubt we are meant to be a family and most of the time I forget she is adopted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Wow. What a beautiful post and beautiful words. And a beautiful baby girl.
ReplyDelete(And this is going to sound dumb, but for some reason, I never put infant Tsege together with your Tsege. Weird!)
Happy referral anniversary!
Happy referral day anniversary! Three months home... it goes fast, doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteM-
Cori
ReplyDeleteJil sent me this link and I couldn't find a more wonderful way to start my day. Congratulations on your beautiful gift, Ruby Tsege. Having adopted two children and one less than 18 months ago, I know the emotional roller coaster you go through, no matter what the circumstances.
Love and best wishes to your beautiful family, and welcome, belatedly, to the parent club!
Julie (Treichel) Swanson